Rockford Park District Volunteer Opportunities
What can I do to help the Rockford Park District?
Since the failure of the referendum of April 2003, there is an on-going maintenance and repair backlog, and people are asking what they can contribute of their time or money to help. There are many opportunities to volunteer your time and talents with the Park District, and your contribution is very welcome.
Here are a few ideas for your consideration:
- Groups, organizations, service clubs, or neighborhood associations can adopt a park and keep it
- clean, rake mulch for the playground, plant flowers, mow the grass or paint shelters.
- Adopt or sponsor maintenance needs such as painting gazebos, outbuildings, painting projects and other small projects.
- Adopt a Horse at Lockwood Park, or provide sponsorship dollars.
- Join a Friends Group (such as the Friends of Lockwood or the Friends of Atwood) and participate in fundraising and volunteer opportunities to reduce dependence on tax dollars to keep these programs going.
- Volunteer to work at special events such as the Illinois Snow Sculpting Competition, Punt/Pass/Kick, and sports tournaments.
- Watch over your neighborhood park, and call the Park Police at 815-987-5800 if you see any suspicious or illegal activity.